Monday, March 17, 2014

Finding time to read.

There is definitely not enough time in a day. I feel that way pretty much every single day being home with 2 young kids. Morning starts abruptly, kids are constantly requiring my attention and when Evie finally does decide to take a nap, I have a huge to do list that seems more important than some 'me' time, not to mention now that Miles is done napping he is usually up requiring more of my attention. And it's great and  I know what some day my kids will be able to do things for themselves and not want old mom around trying to get them fed, dressed or buckled into car seats. So I try to just go with it, and save my 'me' time for after they are tucked in sweetly in their beds. This is usually where Tim and I find some mindless thing to watch on TV or find a good movie off of Netflix, but lately I have been really getting into books. I have had the Goodreads app on my phone for years and usually it sits with a long 'books to read' list but this year I have been getting some books checked off that list, and it feels great. We live really close to our local public library and the kids and I visit weekly, I've been able to get some great books there lately and these have been my favorite recently:

All Joy and No Fun: The Paradox of Modern Parenthood by Jennifer Senior
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
Wonder by R.J. Palacio

And soon to be added to this list And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

I usually have to really make reading a top priority when I have library books checked out because almost always they are due back with no renewals due to others waiting for them.

Now if only I could learn to read while running on the treadmill, though watching previous episodes of the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon will do just fine.

I posted 2 book lists that I have recently come across in the links I love section, I'm going to try to get more books read off these lists, especially some of the classics that I have never read before.

It's funny how once you have kids you have all these hobbies and things you want to do, yet when you were single and childless with all the time in the world (and had no clue about all this free time you time you actually had) you did nothing. That is how I feel anyway!

No comments: