Saturday, August 30, 2014

Zoodles

ZukeNoodlesI'm always thinking about ways to make my diet healthier and experimenting with different ideas, foods, fads, whatever. I recently have been experimenting with going more gluten free and dairy free. I purchased the Fresh Start 21 cleanse a few weeks ago and got 3 weeks worth of vegan dairy free meals, smoothies and snacks. I tried it out for a whole 5 days before cracking and eating pizza with my family - we had to celebrate Miles' new bike without training wheels of course. Then the downward spiral happens, a donut or two here and there, a rice krispy bar the size of my head, chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. Anyway, you see what I mean right? So anyway, during my 5 day cleanse I discovered that people following grain free / paleo diets replace pasta with zucchini and use this unique tool called a spiralizer to create zoodles. I picked one up at Bed, Bath and Beyond (thanks to my friend Jenny telling me they had them there) and created zoodles. I peeled the zucchini and didn't cook it at all and made a tomato sauce to top them with. They were good, interesting but definitely good. I will try this recipe next and I will try to cook them like Danielle Walker (Against All Grain) suggests.


The Doctors TV and Pad Thai Recipe

AUTHOR: Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com

Ingredients:

• 2 medium zucchini, peeled
• 2 large carrots, peeled
• 2 green onions, chopped
• 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
• 1 cup cauliflower florets (May use broccoli, if preferred)
• 1 cup bean sprouts
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 1/2 cup fresh coriander or cilantro
• Optional: crushed roasted cashews

Sauce Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup tahini
• 1/4 cup almond butter (or cashew butter, or blend of both)
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1/4 cup coconut aminos
• 3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar, or coconut crystals
• 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon grated ginger root

Instructions:

1. Use a spiralizer or mandolin to create noodles from the carrot and zucchini. Place them in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk sauce ingredients. Sauce will be thick, but will thin out after mixed with vegetables.
3. In a sauté pan, heat oil. Once hot, sauté cabbage, cauliflower and bean sprouts. When close to being done, add carrot and zucchini noodles to pan. Stir and cook until “noodles” are slightly heated through.
4. Pour sauce over mixture and toss until all combined. Garnish with coriander or cilantro and crushed cashews.

No comments: